Places of Interest
1. The Elks Club, 877 Elks Drive/First St.: Built in 1881, formerly the home of Everett Fowler, brickmaker and president of People’s Bank.
2. 52 First St.: Former Van Houten Tavern, built in 1790.
3. 17 Van Houten St.: The Old Barn, known to be one of the oldest buildings in Haverstraw; former home and studio of world renowned painter Frederick Taubes.
4. 44 First St., De Noyelles Mansion: Built in 1863, home of brickmaker Daniel de Noyelles and later, home of Major Welch, builder of Storm King Highway and Director/Manager of Bear Mountain.
5. 42 First St., Foss Mansion: Original home of Wilson P. Foss, Sr., mayor of Haverstraw during the landslide of 1906 and amateur billiard champion of the world.
6. 28 First St.: Gallery on the Hudson, circa 1829.
7. 20 First St.: Original home of John Begg, where the incorporation of the Village of Warren (later renamed Haverstraw) was approved by a vote of 179-8 in 1854.
8. 10 First St.: Original home of Captain David C. Woolsey, owner of the commuter ship Emeline.
9. 112 Hudson Ave.: Bricktown Inn Bed & Breakfast, circa 1860.
Places of Interest
10. Emeline Dock (Hudson River, foot of Main St.): Steamboat dock built in 1812 by Capt. John Felter and later named for the Emeline, a freight and 500-passenger commuter ship built in 1857 for the Civil War and purchased in 1883 by Haverstraw’s Capt. David Woolsey. The Emeline, which docked and eventually sank here in 1918, made daily trips between Haverstraw and Newburgh.
11. Haverstraw Kings Daughters Public Library (85 Main St.): Founded as a department of the King’s Daughters Society, the first library opened in Jenkins House on Main Street in 1896 with 100 books and moved to the old National Bank Building at the corner of Second and Main Streets in 1898. In 1899, brickmaker Everett Fowler donated $10,000 for the purchase of the current site, and the new library was completed in 1903. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
12. Haverstraw Post Office (86 Main St.): The first federal building in Haverstraw; opened on the original site of the United States Hotel in October of 1935. Designed by architect Louis Simon and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988; named for U.S. Postmaster General James A. Farley of Grassy Point.
13. Brick Museum (12 Main St.): History books, old photographs, brick company ledgers, artifacts, a children’s museum and a working diorama of the landslide of 1906.
14. Lucas Home Made Candies (6 Main St.): Built in 1896 for G.L. Tsoukatos & Co. Candies by George Tsoukatos and Constantine Lucas; features original terrazzo floors and tin ceilings and an original working elevator from the early 1900s.
15. Union State Bank (1 Broadway): Built in 1901 on “Bank Corner” for People’s Bank. First president was brickmaker Everett Fowler.
16. Central Presbyterian Church (64 New Main St./Hudson Ave.): Built in 1909 with donated Haverstraw Brick and now-extinct American Chestnut wood. The thirteen stained glass windows in the main sanctuary were designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. The first, “Abide in Me,” was installed in the church’s original building on Clinton Street and moved to the new building by horse-drawn carriage.
17. Simon Building (West Broad St.): Also known as “The Stone Building,” was built in 1925 for Spiwak and Sons, manufacturers of sheepskin coats. Built from fieldstone from Letchworth Village, the building features more windows than usual for the time. The factory operated as-built for 55 years until a conveyor belt was added in 1980.
18. Site of Waldron Opera House (corner of Broadway/ Lincoln): Later known as the Broadway Theater, where a 9-year-old George M. Cohan made his stage debut in 1887 playing the violin in his parents’ vaudeville act.
19. Calvary Baptist Church (15 Clinton St.): Built in 1846 for the Central Presbyterian Church, which moved to its present location in 1909 (the clock tower was added in 1883).
20. Arts Alliance of Haverstraw (91 Broadway): Art gallery featuring local artists and educational programs, housed in the original headquarters of the Lady Warren Hose Co. No. 5 which was built in 1889.
21. Stein & Stein (1 Railroad Square, corner 9W/New Main St.): Haverstraw train station, built in 1885 when the Village Trustees accepted New Main as a street. (The West Shore Railroad opened to travel in 1883, and before the station was built, a stage from the village transported passengers to the train in West Haverstraw.)
22. Congregation Sons of Jacob (37 Clove Ave.): The members of the first known Jewish settlement in Rockland County first met in private homes as early as the Civil War and organized in the Simon Building in 1877. The congregation moved to a new building at its present location in 1889, but the original building was destroyed by fire in 1966 and rebuilt in 1968.
23. St. Peter’s Church (115 Broadway): The first Catholic Church built in Rockland County; was completed in 1847 on the west side of Ridge Street (and purchased for $800). In 1861, local brickmakers donated brick to build a rectory across the street. Later, a new rectory was built on Broadway and the original building was used as a convent by the Sisters of Charity. The present church on Broadway began construction in 1869 and was consecrated in 1899. The first chimes in the Archdiocese of New York outside of the city were donated to St. Peter’s by local citizens of all denominations.
24. St. Mary’s Church (46 Conklin Ave.): Built by Slovak members of the community in 1898, the original structure has undergone numerous remodelings.
25. High Tor Mountain: Highest Point on South Mountain (altitude 832’); served as an American lookout for British activities on the Hudson during the Revolutionary War, and was the subject of a play written by playwright and South Mountain Road resident Maxwell Anderson. A walking path, Long Path Trail, can be accessed from Central Highway and taken 2 miles eastward. A cable car is planned to go from a park on the waterfront redevelopment to the top of the mountain.
26. Redstone Beach: Hudson River at Long Clove (Dutch for “pass”), near intersection of Routes 304/9W; landing point of British Major John André on September 21, 1780 for his meeting with Gen. Benedict Arnold to plan the takeover of West Point. (Negotiations were completed at what became known as “Treason House,” Joshua Hett Smith’s circa 1770 home in West Haverstraw, on the current site of Helen Hayes Hospital. The home also served as Washington’s headquarters in August 1781 en route to Yorktown, VA. It was demolished in 1929.)
27. Tilcon Industries: One of the region’s largest gravel and stone quarries, presently mining the west side of High Tor Mountain.